The Building an Early Start Together (BEST) project gathers and promotes programs for families with children under the age of five. The goal is to help families build knowledge, skills, and resiliency. This, in turn, makes them better equipped to support their children in reaching their full potential.
Networking events are held for front line workers in organizations who support families with young children in six priority neighborhoods. These include:
- Lower West Side
- Glen Falls
- Waterloo Village
- Old North End
- Crescent Valley
- South End
We work closely with parents, schools, neighborhood and early childhood groups.
Launched by Saint John’s Early Childhood Development Coalition (ECDC) in 2012, BEST is now a project of the Family Resource Centre Saint John Inc.
Parents living in the Priority Neighbourhoods:
Are you interested in working with parents and children 0-5 years old? The Family Resource Centre’s BEST initiative is starting a Parent Peer Leader Project with residents in Saint John’s priority neighbourhoods.
We are looking for people who are passionate about:
- giving children the best possible start in life
- supporting parents
- interacting with families from many different backgrounds
- taking on new challenges
- demonstrating professional work skills and boundaries
Project participants will be:
- Assisting Playgroup Coordinators and Parenting Program Facilitators
- Promoting programs for parents and young children in their community
This is an opportunity to build skills and experience towards volunteer and paid work in early childhood and community development. It includes:
- An intake interview
- Training and orientation sessions
- A volunteer assignment (with honorarium)
- Regular check-ins and performance reviews
- Planning your next steps in education and employment
Participants must provide a current police record check and Vulnerable Sector Check (Department of Social Development).
All COVID-19 Pandemic NB Public Health protocols will be followed. Training and participation will take place virtually (online) and in-person.
Coordinator, Building an Early Start Together (BEST)
633-2182 – extension 206