The Family Resource Centre (S.J.) Inc.
Program Coordinator Position
The Saint John Family Resource Centre has a dynamic employment opportunity for an individual who has the knowledge, skills and experience of working with pregnant women, parents and caregivers of young children, health-care providers, non-profit organizations, schools, communities and volunteers using a community development approach.
About the Family Resource Centre (S.J.) Inc.
Through a supportive environment provides, information, education, and resources to caregivers of children and expecting parents by encouraging them to develop and affirm their abilities, aspirations, and potential.
FRC Programs and Activities Include:
- Prenatal and postnatal programs that provide education and support to improve the health and well-being of pregnant women and new mothers with babies who face challenging life circumstances.
- Community based Family Playgroup programs where parents/caregivers and their pre-school children can enjoy story-time, songs, crafts, school readiness activities, literacy activities, a healthy snack, referrals to community resources, visits from community partners and to simply share some fun.
- A range of parenting programs and workshops focusing on positive parenting strategies for parents with children 0-6 years of age.
- Community based family activities to increase opportunities for quality parent and child interactions.
- Parent and child programs to encourage physical activity for young children and the adults around them.
- Community Kitchen programs that enhance the capacity of parents to acquire skills in planning, preparing, and cooking affordable meals together, then taking home the tasty and nutritious meals to their families.
Position: Family Resource Centre Program Coordinator: 30- 40 hours per week
Contract Period: Yearly [10 months]: September – June Start date: November 2020
The Canada Prenatal Nutrition Program (CPNP) is a community-based program that provides support to improve the health and well-being of pregnant women, new mothers and babies facing challenging life circumstances.
The goals of CPNP are to improve maternal-infant health, increase the rates of healthy birth weights, and to promote and support breastfeeding. The program also aims to promote the creation of partnerships within communities and strengthen community capacity to increase support for vulnerable pregnant women and new mothers.
The key role of the Program Coordinator will be to facilitate the CPNP Prenatal and Postnatal programs. Based on organizational need and funding availability, the Coordinator may also be required to facilitate other Family Resource Centre programs: playgroups, parenting, community kitchens, etc.
- Responsible for the development of all appropriate program materials, activities
- Recruitment of program participants, scheduling of programs and locations
- Facilitation of programs: In person and virtually
- Management/coordination of program budgets
- Preparation of reports/evaluation documentation
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with community partners
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Combination of post-secondary education: Nursing, Adult Education, Community Development
- Experience and training in adult group facilitation, program development and implementation
- Strong skills in facilitation and conflict resolution
- Strong knowledge of family support principles
- Knowledge of early childhood development
- Knowledge of available prenatal/postnatal/early childhood resources in greater Saint John
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience working with populations from diverse socio-economic and multicultural backgrounds
- Must be able to work independently
- Experience with budget management
- Able to work a flexible week-day schedule, including some evenings and weekends
- Excellent written and spoken competence in English required. Additional languages an asset
- Vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Security and Safety: vulnerable sector/criminal record checks
- Up to date First Aid/CPR training
- Excellent computer proficiency required: Microsoft 365 (Outlook,
- Word, Excel, Teams, etc.), Zoom, Facebook Live
- Weight handling of between 10 and 25 kg (20-50 lbs)
This Position will be open until filled. Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before October 16th, 2020 for full consideration:
- Contact information
- A cover letter specifically describing your interest in working with The Family Resource Centre and how your skills and experience fit this position
- 3 References
We thank all applicants; however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.