The Family Resource Centre (S.J.) Inc.
Family Resource Centre Program Coordinator
20 hrs per week
Contract Period: Yearly [10 months]: September – June Start date: September 2021
The Saint John Family Resource Centre has a dynamic employment opportunity for an individual who has the knowledge, skills and experience of working with pregnant women, parents and caregivers of young children, health-care providers, non-profit organizations, schools, communities and volunteers using a community development approach.
About The Family Resource Centre (S.J.) Inc.
FRC Mission: Through a supportive environment provides, information, education, and resources to caregivers of children and expecting parents by encouraging them to develop and affirm their abilities, aspirations, and potential.
FRC Programs and Activities Include:
- Prenatal and postnatal programs that provide education and support to improve the health and well-being of pregnant women and new mothers with babies who face challenging life circumstances.
- Community based Family Playgroup programs where parents/caregivers and their pre-school children can enjoy story-time, songs, crafts, school readiness activities, literacy activities, a healthy snack, referrals to community resources, visits from community partners and to simply share some fun.
- A range of parenting programs and workshops focusing on positive parenting strategies for parents with children 0-6 years of age.
- Community based family activities to increase opportunities for quality parent and child interactions.
- Parent and child programs to encourage physical activity for young children and the adults around them.
- Community Kitchen programs that enhance the capacity of parents to acquire skills in planning, preparing and cooking affordable meals together, then taking home the tasty and nutritious meals to their families.
The Family Playgroup Program is a community-based program where parents/caregivers and their pre-school children can enjoy story-time, songs, crafts, school readiness activities, literacy activities, a healthy snack, referrals to community resources, visits from community partners and simply sharing some fun together. Parenting programs and workshops are designed to focus on positive parenting strategies for parents with children 0-6 years of age based on the needs of the families who attend the Family Playgroup Programs.
The key roles of the Program Coordinator will be to facilitate the Family Playgroup Programs and Parenting Programs in rural and urban communities; to facilitate online parent/child programs based on organizational need and funding availability. The coordinator may also be required to facilitate other Family Resource Centre programs: community kitchens, literacy programs, Active Kids programs. The Program Coordinator is:
- Responsible for the development of all appropriate program materials and activities.
- Recruitment of program participants.
- Scheduling of programs and locations
- Facilitation of programs in person and online
- Management/coordination of program budgets
- Preparation of reports/evaluation documentation
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with community partners
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education: Adult Education, Early Childhood Development, Community Development. A combination of experience, education and training will be considered
- Experience and training in adult group facilitation, program development and implementation
- Strong skills in facilitation and conflict resolution
- Strong knowledge of family support principles
- Knowledge of early childhood development
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience working with populations from diverse socio-economic and multicultural backgrounds
- Must be able to function as a member of a team as well as independently
- Computer proficiency required (internet searches, MS Office 365, email, Zoom, Teams, Facebook Live, etc.
- Experience with financial budget management
- Able to work a flexible week-day schedule, as well as some evenings and week-ends
- Security and Safety: up-to-date vulnerable sector/criminal record/Social Development checks
- Up to date First Aid/CPR training
- Excellent written and spoken competence in English required. Additional languages an asset
Job Requirements: Vehicle and valid driver’s license
Weight handling of between 10 and 23 kg (20-50 lbs)
This Position will remain open until filled. For full consideration please email the following documents to email@example.com by June 30,2021:
- Contact information
- A cover letter specifically describing your interest in working with The Family Resource Centre and how your skills and experience fit this position
- 3 References
We thank all applicants; however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.